- N Korea warns of 'catastrophe' if US-S Korea military drill goes ahead
- U.S. air strikes kill seven al Shabaab fighters in Somalia
- DR Congo landslide kills at least 60 people
- Hailemariam urges East Africa to beat poverty through economic integration
- PM Hailemariam in Kigali to attend Kagame’s inauguration
9,800 people who were detained for involving in violent activities freed
(EBC; December 21, 2016) - Some 9,800 people who were taken in for questioning over a month ago after being involved in violent activities in parts of Ethiopia were freed on Wednesday.
During the 40 days of their stay under custody, the suspects were given awareness raising training on peaceful exercise of the freedom of expression, Government Communication Affairs Office (GCAO) said.
According to Zadig Abriha, GCAO State Minister, the suspects were also briefed on the efforts being exerted by the government at all levels and achievements made in terms of job creation.