- African seed body backs use of genetically engineered seeds
- American NGOs join cancer fight in Ethiopia, Uganda and Tanzania
- Fifth Annual U.S.-AU High Level Dialogue deepens U.S.-African relationship
- AU, EU renew commitment to strengthen security cooperation
- World Bank announces $4.7b loan, grant for Ethiopia
Egypt supports Ethiopian candidate running for post of WHO SG
(EBC; May 15, 2017) - Former Ethiopian Foreign Minister Dr. Tedros Adhanom, who is running for the post of secretary general of the World Health Organization, paid a two-day visit to Cairo starting Saturday within his electoral campaign, ahead of the final elections tour slated for May 23 in Geneva.
Dr. Tedros was received at Cairo International Airport by Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister for African Affairs Mohamed Idris, who delivered greetings from Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry as well as Egypt's support for the Ethiopian candidate who represents Africa.
Idris also delivered instructions from Shoukry to the Egyptian delegation in Geneva in coordination with the African delegations to support the Ethiopian candidate as Egypt is keen that Africa gets a fair share of pivotal international posts which will support the African interests.