- Meles Zenawi Leadership Academy inks cooperation agreement with Chinese Communist Party School
- AU marks International Day of Peace
- World leaders gathered at UN commit to boosting investment in education
- UNSC adopts draft resolution on reform of UN peacekeeping
- 14th International Construction exhibition kicks off in Addis Ababa
Ethiopia congratulates Guterres on his swearing in as the next UNSG
(EBC; December 13, 2016) - Ethiopia has congratulated H.E. Mr. Antonio Guterres on his swearing in on Monday as the ninth and next Secretary-General of the United Nations.
The former Portuguese Prime Minister and UN High Commissioner for Refugees took the oath of office for a five-year term, which begins on 1 January 2017, at a ceremony before the 193-member UN General Assembly.
Ethiopia wished the Secretary-General-designate a success in the discharge of his heavy responsibilities.
Meanwhile, Ethiopia has paid tribute to the outgoing Secretary-General of the global Organization H.E. Mr. Ban Ki-moon for his decade-long service.
Ban steps down as the Secretary-General of the UN at the end of December after leading the Organization for the past 10 years.